My Blog List

Saturday, December 19, 2015

If you Can't say Something Nice Then... Canadian Version

The old Disney quip from Thumper, "If you can't say something nice than don't say nothing at all" has finally come to "The Canadian Air". For several years pundits and prognosticators have been picking on Boeing space with its nine across seating. Maybe it's in an attempt for sounding knowledgeable through criticism. Or an attempt for fear mongering passengers into reading another issue of "What-Ever Flight Journal". Leave it to the Canadians to set the record straight about 787's from its very own 787's. This will be a Winging It polite feature article from Canada for Christmas.

Image result for Christmas Santa paintings

Coming straight from Winnipeg Free Press is: 


The remaining quotes from Winnipeg Free Press is a Christmas Special to the very special Winging It followers and readers for Christmas reading. "Merry Christmas", goes around the world. My own experience in travel includes an often journeyed experience on the 737 NG, various regional Jets and of course traveling on the big ones around North America.



During my flight time experiences, it often included a range of two to 6 hour flights on all equipment imaginable within North America. However, since I was grounded from making flight endeavors, I reflect and comment on this blog. Who was I? I was a 6' ft tall, and a 300 pounder during my career needing travel. So you see I know what cramped means and I can't understand how bloggers who weigh only 150 lbs. can complain about seating on 787 airplanes, and write a purposed article articulating seating failures on the 787. You've got to be kidding me, I know Santa Claus, I fed him the cookies and hot chocolate while on assignment. Since I have "retired", I am a slim 250 lbs. Those are my qualifications for writing this Christmas piece.

Time to start quotes from the Winnipeg Free Press  draped with Maple Leaf Red Font for Christmas: 

"But, truth be told, we chose the Korean capital more because we could fly there on Air Canada's new Boeing 787 Dreamliner jet. We'd heard it's the latest and greatest in long-haul air travel. It's ultra-comfortable, hyper-fuel-efficient, quieter, faster and stylish. Plus, we'd own bragging rights for riding the plane of the future, the jet that's revolutionizing aviation."

"It's OK if you picked this trip more for the aircraft than the destination," says Roch Lefebvre with a laugh. He's one of 12 service managers who has also earned the designation of Dreamliner coach. Air Canada tries to have at least one such coach on every Dreamliner flight to hobnob with passengers and help other flight attendants with all the plane's intricacies.

“Those include the marquee feature of the 787 -- the ability to minimize jet lag by maximizing cabin pressure and humidity so your blood absorbs more oxygen. In addition, large windows light up and darken in keeping with your destination's time to encourage sleep and hasten resetting the body's time clock.”

“Air Canada is so pumped about these attributes, it's promoting the Dreamliner with the "All jet, no lag" slogan. There's also larger overhead bins, personal touch-screen entertainment systems at all seats and USB and power outlets accessible for all.”

"People are in awe of this plane," adds Lefebvre. 

"We've had people book specific flights or change flights or routes deliberately so they could fly the Dreamliner."

To get the full-on round-trip Dreamliner experience I flew Vancouver to Seoul in economy and my wife in premium economy. On the way back, we both indulged in business class. I don't know if I'm qualified to report on the business class experience because I slept most of the 9 1/2 hours from Seoul to Vancouver.”

“But such shut-eye is the ultimate compliment of the aircraft. With my very own high-tech pod with lie-flat bed, complete with massage and firmness controls, it was inevitable I would slumber soundly.

Of course, I managed to stay awake for the Drappier Champagne welcome-aboard reception and dinner of beef tenderloin with a glass, or two, of Chateau Martinolles red wine from France.”

“Not to be complete Dreamliner geeks, we also enjoyed time on the ground in Seoul. We toured Gyeongbokgung Royal Palace; ate bibimbap (a veggie rice bowl with chilis) and bulgogi (marinated beef stew) at authentic Kim Chi Gol restaurant; took in the lotus tea ceremony and Chrysanthemum Flower Show at Jogyesa Temple; shopped famous Insa-Dong Street; and made fun of Seoul singer Psy, the guy behind the annoying worldwide hit song Gangnam Style. By the way, Gangnam is Seoul's equivalent of Beverly Hills.”

“The Dreamliner is Air Canada's go-to jet for long-haul flights such as Vancouver to Seoul, Tokyo, Beijing and Shanghai. The 787s are also on the Toronto to Tel Aviv, Copenhagen, London, Paris, Milan and Tokyo routes."

"The new-generation 787-9 Dreamliner also just started flying Toronto to Delhi and Dubai."

Check out AirCanada.com and VisitSeoul.net...

By: Steve MacNaull
Posted: 12/19/2015 3:00 AM |

It wasn't hard to wrap this up only to say on a 737 NG, I snuggled into a comfortable position through airplane yoga techniques. I didn't have to have a wide seat spread-out of an arrogant traveler. I kept it Canadian and had an American technique for every seat offered me. 

The window required a shoulder roll, a pillow and entertainment. 

The middle seat situation, I pulled my elbows within the seat armrest boundaries where I once again entertained myself with what-ever is available and got up once every 90 minutes when possible. 

The aisle seat on single aisle aircraft became a slight challenge. Food Carts and traffic is always an interruption on the 737 SWA seating arrangements. 

Even with regional jets I was fine. A plus six hour flight in my case, would call for an economy plus ticket just because I am bigger than 200 lbs. Those under 200 lbs. should have a great time in economy on long flights. For Christmas, stop complaining about a lack of 787 spaciousness, because you get a premium experience while traveling economy, stop eating Santa's cookies and cut back on maple sugar and fly Air Canada. 


No comments:

Post a Comment